The Future of Kimberton
Spring Equinox/New Beginnings Chamber Music Concert
March 24, 3:00pm
Returning Kimberton to a more pedestrian friendly community is an essential component in the restoration of the traditional vitality and character of the village; and this is the objective of the Walkable Kimberton project.
With public and private input and support in the form of numerous public meetings and planning sessions, the business association and township have developed a multi-phase concept plan which will provide safe walking opportunities through the historic business district and trails and walkways through its natural surroundings, with eventual physical linkages to the French Creek Trail and the Schuylkill River Trail.
The initial phase of the plan includes a central plaza between the Kimberton Whole Foods store and the now-vacant lot across Kimberton Road. This plaza is designed for pedestrian interaction, creating outdoor “rooms” for seating, eating, informal community gathering, and shopping, and employs several traffic calming strategies. The construction of this central plaza will help lead the way to a safer, quieter, interactive, walkable and more enjoyable village.
Generous offers of dedication of ground by KVBA members and funding from the community have gotten the Walkable Kimberton initiative off to a strong start, with well-developed plan born of public and private consensus.
- Preserve and showcase our unique historic resources
- Create a pedestrian friendly village center
- Encourage appreciation for the wetlands, streams and ponds
- Provide safe walks and trails between homes, play grounds, business and nature
- Offer opportunities for socializing, education, recreation, quiet enjoyment
- Enhance quality of streetscape with benches, lighting, bike racks, plantings